710:60-5-54. Rebuilt titles (a) A salvage vehicle ten (10) model years old or newer, that has been repaired to a roadworthy condition must undergo a rebuilt vehicle inspection by a Motor License Agent before it may be put into use.
(b) The vehicle owner must complete a "Rebuilt Vehicle Inspection Request" (OTC Form 788-B) and submit it to the Motor License Agent.
(c) If an assigned serial number is needed, the owner must contact the Oklahoma Tax Commission Motor Vehicle Division, Title Section.
(d) The assigned serial number must be permanently affixed to the vehicle before the rebuilt inspection is performed.
(e) The Motor License Agent will designate the date, time and location of the inspection within ten (10) working days of receipt of the request.
(f) If the inspection location is not the place of business of the rebuilder, the Motor License Agent shall issue an "Authorization for Travel and Inspection" (OTC Form 788-C), authorizing the applicant to operate the vehicle en route to and from the location for the inspection. This form does not relieve the operator of the vehicle from the Oklahoma Financial Responsibility laws, nor does it allow the operation of the vehicle without a current safety inspection.
(g) The inspection is to be performed by the Motor License Agent or by persons employed by the Motor License Agent.
(h) All vehicle damage shall be repaired before the examination is conducted.
(i) The rebuilt vehicle inspection shall consist of all the following:
(1) Comparison of the vehicle identification number (VIN) with the number recorded on the ownership records.
(2) Inspection of the vehicle identification number and the VIN plate to detect possible alteration or other fraud.
(3) Interpretation of the vehicle identification number recorded on the ownership documents to assure that it accurately describes the motor vehicle in question. Motor License Agents are to use the VIN analysis system (VINA) incorporated into the Motor Vehicle Computer System, to verify that the VIN accurately describes the motor vehicle.
(4) Inspection of the odometer of the vehicle to detect rollback or alteration.
(j) The owner of the vehicle shall present to the Motor License Agent:
(1) The salvage title;
(2) Receipts for all parts placed on the vehicle. The Agent shall validate the parts used and return the receipts to the owner; and,
(3) Proof of current liability insurance. An "Affidavit of Non-Use In Lieu of Liability Insurance" (OTC Form 797) is not acceptable.
(k) The Motor License Agent or employee will entirely complete a "Rebuilt Vehicle Inspection" (OTC Form 788-A). The entire inspection is to be completed, even if the vehicle fails one or more portions of it. If a vehicle fails a rebuilt inspection, the Motor License Agent shall contact the Motor Vehicle Division, Title Corrections, to ensure placement of a "stop flag" on the vehicle record.
(l) If a vehicle fails a rebuilt inspection:
(1) An Oklahoma rebuilt title will not be issued unless written authorization for issuance of a rebuilt title is obtained from an Oklahoma law enforcement agency.
(2) The original (top) copy of the OTC Form 788-A is given to the vehicle owner.
(m) If a vehicle which has previously failed a rebuilt inspection is issued written authorization for issuance of a rebuilt title by an Oklahoma law enforcement agency, the owner must:
(1) Return to the same Motor License Agency that performed the rebuilt inspection;
(2) Submit the original (top) copy of the OTC Form 788-A; and
(3) Submit the letter from the Oklahoma law enforcement agency authorizing the rebuilt title issuance.
(n) The Motor License Agent must contact the Motor Vehicle Division, Title Section, for authorization to issue the rebuilt title and for removal of the "stop flag" from the vehicle record.
(o) If a vehicle passes the inspection, the original (top) copy of the OTC Form 788-A is to be attached as supporting documentation to the rebuilt title receipt submitted in the Motor License Agent's semi-monthly report.
(p) The second (bottom) copy of the OTC Form 788-A is retained by the Motor License Agent regardless of whether the vehicle passes or fails the inspection.
(q) The rebuilt inspection fee is paid only at the time the rebuilt title is issued. If the owner refuses to title and register the vehicle when the inspection is completed and passed
at the inspecting agency, the Motor License Agent is not to release the original (top) copy of OTC Form 788-A to the owner.
(r) The Motor License Agent may not be held liable for any damage to the vehicle occurring during the performance of the inspection, however the Motor License Agent may be held liable for any damage to the vehicle caused by negligent acts or omissions in the performance of the inspection.
[Source: Added at 8 Ok Reg 3305, eff 7-8-91 (emergency); Added at 9 Ok Reg 2151, eff 6-12-92; Amended at 13 Ok Reg 3113, eff 7-11-96; Amended at 17 Ok Reg 2160, eff 6-11-00; Amended at 19 Ok Reg 1849, eff 6-13-02]